It’s not about selling–it’s ALWAYS about establishing rapport. We call this relationship selling. And this is what you can do to build effective and lasting customer relationships:
- Use your customer’s name–often–and pronounce it properly.
- Say what you’re going to do and do it.
- Show interest in your customer – there’s always time for conversation about their vacation plans, kids, interests. Take an interest!
- Be empathetic – put yourself in your customer’s shoes, letting them know that you understand their frustration as you’ve seen this issue before, that you’re there to help them resolve it.
- Avoid saying “No” and explain why. Instead, tell your customer what you CAN do for them.
- Be courteous – say please and thank you!
- Smile (yes, even over the phone–it shows in your voice)!
- Go the extra mile (under-promise & over-deliver).
- Mirror your customer/match their tone and body language.
In fact, practice these tips in all your relationships–and prepare to be amazed!
-Kelly L. Howarth