Out with the old, in with the new! A new year presents us with the opportunity for a do-over. And there is no better time for a job do-over than at the start of a new year. Whether you’re networking with friends and colleagues over the holidays or surfing the job boards online, besides your very best resume, it all starts with targeting the job for which you are qualified. Enter the Job Advertisement or Job Posting. Always send your resume with a cover or introduction letter, bridging your resume with the criteria in the job posting.
Here are some tips for answering job postings:
- View (Save) the posting and note the date your application is due. It is not necessarily negative if you send your application after the due date; it just might make your candidature stand out. So does sending it well before the due date.
- Highlight the key qualifications requested in the ad or posting. Consider writing a T-format cover letter where you list in a two-column table, the main job criteria and your own matching qualifications.
- Go to the company’s website to learn more about their activities. This is key!
- Compose your (one-page only) cover letter, referring to what the company is seeking and how your experience and training relates, especially given what you now know from researching their website. Remember to run your letter through the spelling and grammar check or have someone with a keen eye review it.
- Beware of blind ads containing only a fax number (and no company name). You may still want to apply, but do not be disappointed if you are not contacted or do not have a way to follow up to find out about the status of your application. These are hit and miss.
Would you like to learn more about conducting an effective successful job search? Go to our Products page for our new workbook, Get Hired: Market Yourself, Apply Job Search Strategies and Ace the Interview. We invite you to scan the Table of Contents. Filled with the latest information on resume writing, job searching and job interviewing, this interactive guide takes you seamlessly through the steps to net YOUR next job!